This is the “spot”!
This section of our website will give you a little glimpse into who we are. Here you can find some facts we think are important enough to present on our website.
We are conscious of the fact that as a part of the community we must always give something back. Northern Nevada is our home–whether we are native born or chose to live here. We are all traveling down the bike path of life together–lets make our home a nicer place to live. We all have to learn to share. So wave to the next cyclist you see, we are all fighting the same fight.
Bike Shop attributes:
Rich Staley: Owner of Great Basin Bicycles and has worked here since it’s inception in 1990. He has tons of hours behind a wrench, and there is not much he can’t fix, or figure out how to get you back on the road. He has successfully raced Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, and now Tandems. He has mountain biked every road / trail in this area and most of Nevada. Currently he is focusing on Ultra Endurance bike races and rides, as well as working with customers of Great Basin Bicycles to set goals and complete many of the areas supported rides. Here is a list of his (and customers) recent accomplishments:
- Nevada Crossing Road Bike Highway 50 non-stop : 409 miles, 27.5 hrs 2012 – Strava Link
- California Triple Crown – 2014 & 2013
- The 308 : 1st place solo 2014 – Strava Link
- Furnace Creek 508: 3rd place 2 person mixed team 2013- Strava leg 2 – Strava Leg 4 (Short course due to Federal Shutdown.)
- Silver State 508: Solo 2014 – 8th place Solo – Strava Link
- Race Around Lake Tahoe: 2nd place 2013 – Strava Link
- USAC Nationals: Tandem Time Trial Elite/Open 1st place 2014- Strava Link
- USAC Nationals: Tandem Road Race 70+ 3 rd place 2014 – Strava Link
- USAC Districts: Tandem Time Trial 70+ Sattley, Ca. 2nd 2014 – Strava Link
- Davis Double: 2014 (5 Great Basin Bicycles customers finished) – Strava Link
- STP (Seattle to Portland) Double: 2014 – (22 Great Basin Bicycles customers finished)- Strava Link
- White Mountain Double: 2014 (3 Great Basin Bicycles customers finished) – Strava Link
- The Bass Lake Double :2014 (3 Great Basin Bicycles customers finished) – Strava Link
- Alta Alpina 8 Pass Double: 2014 & 2013 – Strava Link
- Death Ride: 2014 (10 Great Basin Bicycles customers finished) – Strava Link
- Mt Tam Double: 2013 (2 Great Basin Bicycles customers finished) – Strava Link
- Santa Rosa Double: 2013 (2 Great Basin Bicycles customers finished) – Strava Link
- Chico Wild Flower: Wild Cat extended 129 version (11 GBB Customers finished) – Strava Link
- Edible Pedal – Reno: 2012, 2013 & 2014 – (14 GBB Customers finished) – Strava Link
- Tour de Tahoe: 2013 (10 GBB Customers finished) – Strava Link
- Party Pardee: 2014 (10 GBB Customers finishd) – Strava Link
Steven Lewis: Resident Shop Cat Herder is actively involved in many of the area’s mountain bike rides and races. He also spends some of his free time volunteering with the Tahoe Area Mountain Biking Association building and maintaining the vast amount of trails the area has to offer. Steven is also actively involved in the local and regional mountain bike racing scene, riding both of his race bikes:
Shimano XTR equipped Yeti SB66c SRAM XX1 equipped 2015 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon Team
- Battle Born Enduro – 2nd Place – Strava Link
- Endurofest at China Peak – 5th Place – Strava Link
- Livewire Classic at Northstar – 13th Place (Mechanical Failure) – Strava Link
- Kamikaze Bike Games at Mammoth Lakes – 3rd Place
- Santa Cruz Super Enduro – 14th Place – Strava Link
Sea Otter Classic
- 2013 Sea Otter Classic
- XC (Clydesdale on a Santa Crus Nomad – 4th Place – Strava Link
- DH (Cat 3 on Same Santa Cruz Nomad as XC) – 1st Place
- 2012 Sea Otter Classic
Contrary to popular belief, Steven does spend a few minutes here and there riding his Shimano Ultegra Di2 equipped Cannondale SuperSix Evo road bike…
- 100-mile “Tour De Gerlach” with Rich and Adam – Strava Link
- Fast Friday Outside in the Wind – Strava Link
We encourage you to get out and ride; we live in a great place! Discover it on your bike! Take a day and ride somewhere new! Check out our trail maps or stop by the store and pick up a book! We have many titles and authors at our store. Do not delay! There are only a limited number of cycling days in our life, take the time now and enjoy this wonderful scenic area we call home–Northern Nevada!
Police are Bikers too!
RPD Bike Patrol 1 We sell and service most of the police and security bikes in the Reno area (and some departments as far away as Henderson).
Raleigh Cycles has been at the cutting edge of Bike Patrols dating back into the mid-1980’s. We are proud that we can provide a bike with the extra durability and reliability that law enforcement needs.
You can count on us to know what it takes to withstand everyday abuse. If you think you’re hard on your bike, you should see the ones with 40 lbs. of police gear after a few sets of downtown stairs and curbs!
Nevada Bicycle & Pedestrian Safety Program
Our owner, Rich Staley, has been teaching basic bicycle maintenance (flat fixing, derailleur adjusting, brake pad replacement, and so on) at Great Basin Bicycles since 1990, to help consumers take care of their own bikes. Our classes are small, take only one evening, and you learn on your own bike. Classes are $25 per person, and at least 4 people. You will get a full $50 tune-up on your bike, but you will know how to fix it yourself next time. Classes are structured around the questions that you have, and the bikes you bring. Round up 4 people, and call for a class. We will set up a time after store hours, and around your schedule.
Call or e-mail our store owner, Rich, for more details. 775-825-8258